The largest Opals in the World

The amazing Opal Matrix! The largest opal in the world, so far. Found in Australia, it is 55,000 carats in size!

Found by Stuart Hughes and his team, it is valued over $1 million dollars and it outweighs the previous record holder by an unbelievable 48,900 carats.

The length is about 30cm, height varies from 15-20cm and its around 4cm thick. [Photo source: Stuart Hughes]

How is an opal formed?– There is still no major agreement of how it is formed and even how old it is. The common theory at is that silicane [which is related to Quartz] laden water seeped down through the sandstone and filled in void cavities and cracks. The water then evaporated and the opal gel solidified. However at the opal fields in Virgin Valley, Nevada they believe that hot silica laden water was pushed up and replaced vegetation to form opals. [Source: How is Opal Formed?]

The Galaxy Opal is the world’s largest polished opal, certified by the Guinness Book of World Records in 1992. It was found in Brazil in 1976. It weighs approximately 3,749 carats! It was carved from a grapefruit-sized piece of rough stone weighing 5,205 carats by Scott Cooley.

The Olympic Australis Opal (photo below) was found in 1956 at the “Eight Mile” opal field in Coober Pedy, South Australia. It was found at a depth of 30 feet and so named because the Olympic Games were being held in Melbourne at the time.

The Olympic Australis consists of 99% gem opal, with the remainder of 1% being the soil still attached to the stone. It weighs 17,000 carats as was valued at $2,500,000 in 2005.

These opals are pretty amazing!

Blog post by ~ Jelene

About Jewelry Warehouse

Jewelry Warehouse is a locally owned jewelry store that has 2 locations located in Columbia SC. We have been voted best jewelry store by the State newspaper – the largest paper in SC, for 22 years in a row. Originally founded in 1969, George Satterfield started the Jewelry Warehouse. It was his vision to always get quality jewelry but to price lower than traditional jewelry stores. After 40 years his vision has continued even after his death in 2005. With the growth and development of the internet, the plan is stronger than ever as not only does The Jewelry Warehouse still offer the best price and quality in SC, it now has the best pricing in the United States! People from California to New York now can get jewelry that is sold in the cities for significantly more, at South Carolina pricing. With a satisfaction Guarantee, buying from Jewelry Warehouse gives people everywhere a risk free opportunity to try us and save on quality merchandise.
This entry was posted in Jewelry, Jewelry History, Jewelry News, Jewelry Trivia & Facts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The largest Opals in the World

  1. Leif says:

    Hi I’m curious as to the large opal matrix you show on your web site! How did you come about this I know we’re it exactly come from in Andamooka Australia as I found it with my father and have the original photos of it. We sold it to a bloke from coober peedy lost contact with him and have been trying to for a while now.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.